Monday, March 14, 2016

Messing Everything Up

Archive post: I wrote this 2 years ago and I'm still on the same journey. It's amazing how prophetic these themes were...
 
 

As a young child, I liked order, I liked things done MY way. I would often play by myself because I didn't like the games that other kids were playing.

When I was about four years old, I was playing with a Fisher-Price castle at my grandparents' house. I carefully arranged all the plastic figures inside and built an intricate scene.

My two year old sister was creeping closer. I was anxiously blocking her because she did not share my methodical, orderly play preferences. My grandpa asked why I wouldn't let her play. I told him,

"Grandpa, she's going to mess everything up!"

With a mischievous glint in his eye, he said, "Oh, no she won't."

"Ooookay," I sighed.

Within seconds, she had successfully "messed everything up" as I had predicted. I looked back at my grandpa and said, "See? I told you."

I'm not sure where this idea of cultivating a "perfect" life orginated. Maybe we can blame pinterest or facebook, but I'm sure this pressure existed before that.

We are taught that there is a right way to do things, an ideal that we should want for our lives. If we're honest, I'm sure we all want to live happy, productive lives.

But what if God intends for our lives to be more than simply "happy" or "productive"? What if He plans to "mess everything up"? To derail our plans.

{Spoiler alert: that's exactly what He wants to do!}

Perhaps...
...we have a calling to give generously, but voices chide that it is foolish
...we have a calling to adopt, but voices warn us that it will bring heartache.
....we have a calling to recklessly engage in community, but voices whisper that it will be messy.
...we have a calling to advocate for justice, but voices shout that it will make people uncomfortable.

There could be something that God is calling you into that you don't even want to acknowledge. When you think about it, your stomach tightens and you want to change the subject, fast.

You could ignore it and persist in building a "good" life. (Like the silly plastic castle scene I had devised as playtime perfection as a child.)

Or obey the call that looks like it will "mess everything up", but it is the way to a better life--the Way, the Truth, and the Life. His way will open up a door to something you never could have imagined for yourself.

But that's exactly where fear holds us back! Sometimes we're more comfortable with our plastic castle, our way of doing things.

Even though it scares me and I'll probably have to recommit to this several times each week...

I'm choosing to let Him mess everything up.

How about you?

Dear God,
If we've asked you to be our Savior, help us release our will,
and let you be our Lord, our Leader.
Help us to focus on your voice alone.
Surround us with others who can encourage us and support us as we strive to live for you.
In your name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home