Monday, June 13, 2011

faith

"For we live by faith, not by sight." 2 Cor. 5:7

"Genuine moral fiber is developed by enduring the discipline of faith. When you have made your request to God, and the answer still has not come, what are you to do? Keep on believing His Word! Never be swayed from it by what you see or feel. Then as you stand firm, your power and experience is being developed, strengthened, and deepened." Streams in the Desert, L.B. Cowman

I used to completely underestimate faith and prayer. When someone told me to pray about something, I would feel so discouraged and wonder if they were just writing me off.

In recent years, I have learned that through prayer, I am participating in something so much bigger. I have been surprised at how often Brandon and I feel led to pray and then see God move. The faithfulness of God is a response to his love for us (everyone not just Brandon and I) and a response to the legacy of faith into which we are woven.

It was by faith that my parents, when they learned of J.P.'s disability, continued to walk and live with hope. By their faith, J.P. has grown into a remarkable young man who has exceeded expectations.

It was by faith that Brandon and I prayed for our spouses, despite discouraging prospects. And then at the right time, life situations and eharmony settings were open so that we could begin to pursue a relationship, unlike any other we had previously experienced. Even from 1,200 miles away.

It was by faith that J.P. prayed for my job, when I had been discouraged by spending a full year subbing and 5 fruitless interviews. By his faith, I received a job offer the next day.

It is by faith that Brandon and I are moving. Even though we have stable jobs and a stable future where we are, we have faith that God is calling us out of our safety into a daunting situation where there is little certainty but no limit to where he will take us.

Brandon is doing something completely new and unfamiliar. I have no job lined up. We don't have anywhere to live yet. We don't know what our income will be. There are things that we want that we will put off for a while.

Yet! I still hope. I still have faith that God will keep his promises.

"There may be a great work occurring in your life when things seem their darkest. You may see no evidence yet, but God is at work. " Streams in the Desert, L.B. Cowman

It has been in the dark nights when I have heard God's voice the clearest.

God has done it before and he will do it again. Just watch and see.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home