Monday, March 14, 2016

You're Ok

Archive post: I don't think we can be reminded too often...
 
 
I went to a small Christian college. I followed the rules. I was involved. I was enthusiastic. So it was a logical next step for me to apply to become a resident assistant (RA). The position of RA was very popular on our campus and came with a sort of prestige. {It was a very small school.}

The process of selecting RAs involved multiple levels of tests and interviews. From a written application, recommendations, tests, group interviews, individual interviews. My RA that year was a friend and she was encouraging me through the whole process. After 2-3 weeks, the pool of applicants had become smaller and I was sure that I'd be a part of residence life the next year.

The tradition was for current RAs to "kidnap" the selected RAs for the next year at night and go to some sort of initiation ceremony. The night the kidnapping was to take place, my RA gave me a sly smile and knowingly said she'd see me later.

That night I was asleep until I heard some noise in the hallway of our dorm. I laid in bed wondering... I heard doors opening, girls whispering, giggling, running, and then the noise passed over my room. I let out a heavy sigh and wondered why.

I haven't had many moments in my life where I've heard God speak to me spontaneously, but in that moment He did. All I heard were two words repeated twice: You're OK.

In that moment, I couldn't hear any verbose, proclamations of the greatness of who I am as a daughter of Christ, all I was able to hear were those simple words. That was enough.

Just like a child who hears that he is loved, needs to know that he is liked by his parents, sometimes we need to be reminded that we are OK.

This affirmation is so simple but there is a deep place in us wondering, "Am I OK?"

Especially when we go through setbacks or when our plans fall short. God is with us in those lonely, vulnerable moments telling us that we are OK.

What is OK?

OK means being on the right track, don't give up, you are not alone, God is responsible for your end result.

So listen carefully...

You. Are. OK.

Dear God,
You see our hearts, and all the bruised, broken places therein.
Be near to the brokenhearted, the disappointed, the lonely, the ones about to give up.
Help this reality of being OK, sink deep within us.
Heal our hearts, so that we can pursue more of you.
In your name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home